Wednesday, June 6, 2012

sweaty poetry and logophilic tendencies

Math is sweaty poetry.

It makes your brain feel like how your muscles do after you've had an intense work-out.  Super productive; super pooped.  Think brain cells with a sweatband.  Perspiration between the ears.  No regrets.

The numbers click together like cogs of a clock: tk-tk-tk-tk.  Predictable, obedient, gratifying.  A puzzle coming together in the mind.  Successfully evaluating an equation is a feeling of satisfaction so supreme it makes me salivate.  No, really.

Thoroughly sweaty.  Thoroughly poetic.

So, that's essentially my way of conceding that perhaps I was a little dramatic yesterday.

Okay, done conceding.

Fun fact:  I like being clean much more than I like being sweaty.

So, let's dispense with the numbers and talk about words.  Yay.  I was just browsing my most beloved website - you got it - Dictionary.com and delighting in a few particular favorites.  Words attract me for a variety of reasons:

Some feel like water flowing over your ears.  Musical.  Like French.
Some are just plain weird.
Some stack up in your mouth just right.  And then jumble out in a pretty mess.
Some have poignant meanings.  Original.  Fascinating.
Some are simply awesome.

In one way or another, they gratify the little logophile in me.  May I share that with you?  Would you humor me?  Take a moment to traverse a lexical topography foreign to the common English addle-pate?  Yay!  Here are a few favorites (all definitions from Dictionary.com):

amanuenses - a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another; secretary
aplomb - imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance
bollix - to do (something) badly; bungle
flibbertigibbet - a chattering or flighty, light-headed person
halcyon - calm; peaceful; tranquil
perspicacity - keenness of mental perception and understanding; discernment; penetration
prodigious - extraordinary in size, amount, extent, degree, force, etc.
querulous - full of complaints; complaining
sesquipedalian - (of a word) containing many syllables; (of a person) given to using long words
surfeit - excess; an excessive amount

Wasn't that refreshing?  Entertaining?  Gratifying?

Thank you for humoring me, friend.

2 comments:

  1. Guess what: I'd already heard of--and knew the basic definitions of--the following:
    aplomb
    flibbertigibbet (thanks to "Maria" in Sound of Music; listen to it sometime)
    halcyon (can't pronounce it but like how it looks)
    prodigious (like that one)
    sesquipedialian (thanks to you)
    surfeit (e before i! seriously!)

    I'm pleased with myself.

    Also...I'm not much of a math person either but I'll share a secret with you. I love balancing equations because of how beautifully everything evens out. :) :) Sometimes I LOVE numbers! Don't tell the words I said that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. for a minute I thought the label "hobbies" said "hobbits" and I got all excited. I don't really know what that says about me.

    ReplyDelete